In 1950 the house was occupied by Mr & Mrs Morris and their children Stephen, Bill, Virginia and Ben. Earlier that year Lady Ailwyn had moved out to Surrey, having moved into The Red House with Lord Ailwyn when the estate was sold up in 1935. At one time it was occupied by Mr & Mrs Frost, one of the Honingham Hall Estate agents. His daughters Hilda and Ethel continued to live in the village.
Red House was bought by the Ministry of Transport when the line of the by-pass was decided, and was let on a 2 year lease to Mr & Mrs Kraft, with 2 children Julian and Susan, who they educated at home. When they left to go to Devon Mr & Mrs Douglas Beaton moved in with their son Angus. At the end of their 2 years they moved to Garvestone.
The Ministry then sold the property to Mr & Mrs Alan Secker, who made considerable alterations to the house. Alan had worked with a builder named Gibson who had done a great deal of work for the Estate, so knew the house and the village well. They had two children Julian and Karen. They were still living there in 1987, trying to sell the house but keep the side garden on which to build a bungalow. Mr Secker had bought the chimneys from the demolished Hall, which he planned to incorporate into the bungalow, and the site is already divided into Red House and Red House Lodge.
They sold out completely and moved to a bungalow in Dereham in 1989.
In 1950 three families lived in the converted farmhouse on the right hand side of the drive going out of the village. In the first were Mr & Mrs Ted Wright and Ted’s uncle Basil. In the middle Mrs Hinchcliffe and Mr Richardson lived with their family Alan, Eileen, Rita, Keith, Trevor and James. And in the end were Miss Oswick and Mr Green.
the first, after many changes is now owned by 2 ladies who live in Norwich. Mrs Hinchcliffe still lives in the middle. Mrs H’s sister Mrs Thompson moved into the third when Mrs Oswick died, and she then sold to Mr & Mrs Stebbings who had been living in one of the Hall Farm cottages. (They were still there in 1987).
With the coming of the bypass a triangular piece of land was left on the left hand side of the drive. On this was built two houses… “Treetops” owned by Mr & Mrs Keith Harvey, and the other by Mr Peter hales, a landscape gardener who made a feature of the front of his property. Both of these houses stand high above the drive.
The piece of land lying between the main drive and the access to the Hinchcliffe and Stebbings properties was bought by Mr Rudd. He bought land on the other side of the river on which he built a house. This he sold and bought the meadow which lay behind the houses on The Street. Here he built a house into which he moved, while he proceeded to build a bungalow into which he intended to move. He died before it was finished, but Mrs Rudd moved in and sold the house.
This house stands opposite Richmond Close.
in 1950 it was occupied by P.C. Leonard Shaw and his wife Pat. They were there for some years, but he was eventually transferred and P.C.Edwards took over, followed by many others in fairly quick succession.
With the reorganisation of the Police Force the house was put on the market and purchased by Mr Rampton for one of his workers – a Mr Sturman who had a large family.
When Mr Sturman retired most of his children had married and he and his wife moved into a bungalow in Fellowes Rd, and the Police house stood empty for some time. In 1987 it had recently been sold to a young couple.
Mrs Robinson says there are 4 cottages situated near the old walled garden and the lake. In 1950 they were occupied by
Mr & Mrs Walter Hammond and their daughter.
Mr & Mrs Smith with their son & Daughter.
Mr & Mrs Toll and their son – who married one of the assistant matrons at The Hall .
The Smiths eventually retired to a bungalow in Fellowes Rd and then to Aylsham.
After Mr Toll’s retirement and move to Norwich his house was occupied by Mr & Mrs Notley and their son, who followed Mr Toll as gardener at the Hall. His son eventually married the Smith’s daughter.
Occupation of these cottages has changed many times, Mr & Mrs Dye being the only ones with a long term occupancy. Their children Mandy and Nigel grew up there, and in 1987 were occupying the cottage originally occupied by the Hammonds.
There is a triangle of grass in front of these cottages. Old maps show that there was once a village pump situated there. It was also the resting place of a WWI German cannon – this was sent for scrap iron in the second war, and the site is now occupied by the Village Sign. Erected in Jubilee Year (1977), the ironwork was supplied by H Blyth & Son, and the base was built by H Smith & Son incorporating flints taken from the old flint and thatch Farm House featured elsewhere in these pages.
Number 15 was in 1987 occupied by Mrs Effie Clark – she moved there with her husband and 2 children in 1950. Next door were Mr & Mrs Grass and their son Peter, who later became landlord of The Buck.
These cottages were originally owned by Bert and George Smith respectively.
Bessie Grass died, and Will moved into an old people’s home at Wroxham. 16 was then let to a Mr & Mrs Jackson.
Mr & Mrs Rowbottom lived there in 1950, and a lot of the land was still worked by horses. (Mr Rowbottom’s father had moved into the property from a farm in the Gog-ma-Gog hills near Cambridge.)
After buying the estate Mr Rampton arranged for Ted – by now a widower – to move into the Village lodge, which he had modernised for him. This done, the land was incorporated into the Rampton farming system. For a short while he installed the manager, Mr Reeder, in the house, but later rented the house to Mr & Mrs Chillingworth.
In 1987 they were understood to be about to leave for a smaller property they had bought for their retirement, and Mr Rampton’s son will be taking over occupation.
Mrs Robinson writes………………
In 1950 Mr George Price was farming here. He had changed the name of the farm from Brick Kiln Farm when he bought it. There was than evidence of the clay pit in one of the fields on the Colton Road, and there is no doubt that the bricks for many of the local houses were made here.
Mr Price occupied the house with his wife Dorothy and their children Michael, Christine and Marylin.
There were then 3 cottages housing the workmen. Mr Warnes (with his wife and daughters Vera, Vinnie and Anne) occupied the first – he was the cowman. The middle one changed its occupants with great regularity, and the last one was occupied by Mr Claxton, the farm foreman, and his wife Edna and son Leslie. Eventually a bungalow was built on the corner of the farm road and Colton Road for the Claxtons. When Mr Claxton retired and Mr Delph took over, the first 2 cottages were made into one as the Delphs had 4 children and the bungalow was not big enough for them.
When Mr Price retired Jock Alston of Honingham Thorpe bought the farm, and his son Ian got married and moved into the house. The bungalow was enlarged and Mr & Mrs Allen, Ian’s parents – in – law moved in. The cottages were in 1989 still occupied by Mr & Mrs Delph and Mr & Mrs Leveridge, though neither of them work at the farm.
(in 2013 the cottages were demolished to make room for a large house)