we have 2 events in Honingham this Sunday (4th)…12 noon until 5pm for bowls, and 2pm to 5pm for the Hall.
Honingham Bowls have a go day, at the old Bowling Club, nothing formal just roll up and have a go! Also target bowls to win a small prize, and crazy golf or croquet for the children. Do have a go at “bowl in a box”…..prize is seeing Craig Matless eat his Next Sunday lunch in the pub – wearing a dress ? This just has to be won…..photos will be obligatory Craig!
From 2pm the Village Hall is holding Honingham History Day…..a wonderful archive of stories, events and photo’s, see which families first lived in your house, read about life in the Village School (closed for a week to get the black currant harvest in, or a measles epidemic), the murder at Honingham Hall, the Honingham Hoard, the Americans stationed here during the war, and lots more. Teas, soft drinks and cakes will be available, plus a raffle in aid of the Village Hall. Any offers of help, raffle prizes or cakes gratefully received on the day or contact Linda on 01603 880089.
There had originally been a farm here, but by 1950 the land had been reduced to the meadow stretching between Mill Lane and the river, behind the house and the orchard, situated on the opposite side of the road. Colonel and Mrs Birdwood were the owners at that time, and they sold the meadows beyond the “garden” area, where they had once kept the house cows, to Mr Basil Kidd.
When they decided to emigrate to Rhodesia they sold the orchard to Mr Tom Robinson, and the house and garden to Mr & Mrs Arnold Harris, who moved in in 1958 with their 3 children Clive, Rosamund and another, and Mrs Harris’s mother Mrs Millne.
After the death of Mrs Millne, and the children moving out, they sold the house to Professor and Mrs McKillop, who moved in with their sons Ian and Robin. They were still in residence in 1987.
During the Birdwood’s time the water mill formed part of the premises and served a useful storage olace for their bee-keeping and other equipment.
During the Harris occupancy the mill was demolished when deterioration of the river bridge made it more convenient for the project.
Click the link for some history of the old mill
Old Mill and Mill House 1939
The cyclist on the left of this picture is Billy Hanwell, the father of Jack & Sidney
Honingham Water Mill in 1958