we have 2 events in Honingham this Sunday (4th)…12 noon until 5pm for bowls, and 2pm to 5pm for the Hall.
Honingham Bowls have a go day, at the old Bowling Club, nothing formal just roll up and have a go! Also target bowls to win a small prize, and crazy golf or croquet for the children. Do have a go at “bowl in a box”…..prize is seeing Craig Matless eat his Next Sunday lunch in the pub – wearing a dress 😂 This just has to be won…..photos will be obligatory Craig!
From 2pm the Village Hall is holding Honingham History Day…..a wonderful archive of stories, events and photo’s, see which families first lived in your house, read about life in the Village School (closed for a week to get the black currant harvest in, or a measles epidemic), the murder at Honingham Hall, the Honingham Hoard, the Americans stationed here during the war, and lots more. Teas, soft drinks and cakes will be available, plus a raffle in aid of the Village Hall. Any offers of help, raffle prizes or cakes gratefully received on the day or contact Linda on 01603 880089.
The sign above the door shows the licensee as Mr Grand, who was landlord until 1921.
In 1950 the Buck was run by Mr & Mrs Sidney Dack, and their son Len, (who had married Mr & Mrs Dick Bailey’s daughter Nancy) lived in the cottage which formed part of the Inn building but which was a separate dwelling.
Stanley in 1944
The pub itself was made up of separate rooms, each heated by a coal fire in original fireplaces. A pointed cone-shaped container at the end of a long handle hung beside the fireplace – into this the men poured their ale, stuck the cone in the fire and heated the drink.
After Mr Dack’s death his wife Mary carried on as landlady. When Nancy and Len moved out she moved into the cottage, and when she retired Mr and Mrs Peter Grass succeeded her. They were followed by Mr & Mrs Gant, who were in turn succeeded by Mr & Mrs Simmonds from Church Farm Cottages – Mr Tubby moving into the premises with them.
They were followed by Mr & Mrs fisher, who eventually returned to the Midlands. they were followed by Mr & Mrs Mellor and their two children Kevin and Clive.
Over the years the interior of the pub has been completely altered and there is access to the cottage on both floors. Peter and Peggy Mellor live in the cottage with Kevin and Clive, and since mains water came to the village B&B customers have been catered for. It now also does a very nice line in pub food, Clive having been to a caterers course at Norwich Technical College.
Just lately Peter and Peggy have both suffered with heart trouble – Peggy having had a valve replaced and Peter having a severe heart attack.
At the time of writing (1987) Peter Peggy and Clive are still in residence, Kevin having married and moved away.
The old sign