In 1950 the Buck was run by Mr & Mrs Sidney Dack, and their son Len, (who had married Mr & Mrs Dick Bailey’s daughter Nancy) lived in the cottage which formed part of the Inn building but which was a separate dwelling.
The pub itself was made up of separate rooms, each heated by a coal fire in original fireplaces. A pointed cone-shaped container at the end of a long handle hung beside the fireplace – into this the men poured their ale, stuck the cone in the fire and heated the drink.
After Mr Dack’s death his wife Mary carried on as landlady. When Nancy and Len moved out she moved into the cottage, and when she retired Mr and Mrs Peter Grass succeeded her. They were followed by Mr & Mrs Gant, who were in turn succeeded by Mr & Mrs Simmonds from Church Farm Cottages – Mr Tubby moving into the premises with them.
They were followed by Mr & Mrs fisher, who eventually returned to the Midlands. they were followed by Mr & Mrs Mellor and their two children Kevin and Clive.
Over the years the interior of the pub has been completely altered and there is access to the cottage on both floors. Peter and Peggy Mellor live in the cottage with Kevin and Clive, and since mains water came to the village B&B customers have been catered for. It now also does a very nice line in pub food, Clive having been to a caterers course at Norwich Technical College.
Just lately Peter and Peggy have both suffered with heart trouble – Peggy having had a valve replaced and Peter having a severe heart attack.
At the time of writing (1987) Peter Peggy and Clive are still in residence, Kevin having married and moved away.